Friday, January 09, 2009

The Whole Christmas Season in One Post

This is going to be a long one, but I figure I owe it to those of you who are actually still checking to see if I update.
Ok, going backwards a couple months...


Thanksgiving was great. Lots of food. Really that's all to say about it.

Thanksgiving night at midnight, I did something I honestly never thought I would do.
I went shopping.

I am not a sale person. I don't like digging through cloths. I don't like the stores when there is more than 5 people in them. I don't like lines. I have no patience for any of those things. So, why in the world did I agree to go shopping with Leanne at midnight?

Three reasons:

1. The outlet mall is in my backyard. If it was too crazy, I could easily go home.

2. I hear people talk about shopping after Thanksgiving and that it is a fun kind of chaos.
3. Gymboree was having $5 pajamas. Since I have a jammie obsession, I had to go.

To say that it was a crazy experience would be an understatement. There were people everywhere, and I think every mom in a 50 mile radius wanted jammies too.

Leanne and I were the 5th people in line, and we had a game plan. Ok, we really didn't until the people all around us did. The goal was for us to grab all the jammies we could in sizes 2T, 2T, 3T, and 4T.

It was crazy! I did have a lady grab pajamas out of my hand, but, in the end, we surpassed our goal.

As we headed to the back of the store to survey our arm loads of jammies, we were like two kids in a candy shop. We decided what we "needed" and got in line.

We were amazed that the line was half way around the store. While we waited in line for over an hour, we kept taking turns leaving line to shop more since everything was on sale. We ended up with as much as we could hold. After checking out, we walked the mall a little more, and we were home by 2 am.

The next morning my arms were actually sore from holding all my loot in line, but the stacks of jammies were worth it. My boys each had 6 pairs of Christmas jammies and some others as well. They are well dressed little sleepers. :)

It was definitely an experience. I'm not sure if it's worth doing every year, but I am pretty certain Leanne and I will try again because we laughed A LOT.

Thanksgiving weekend was so much fun for the boys because Daddy was around to play.
On that Sunday, we went to the church where Uncle Ray and Kristin are getting married in March. The were being blessed by the church.
While I am sure the little blessing was wonderful, wrestling two kids during a Catholic church service isn't very fun.
The real high point was Barrett observing the things about the Catholic Church that are different from our church. Since I was raised Catholic, it was all normal to me, but Barrett asked me who the bleeding man on the cross was. I told him it was Jesus, and with a very upset face he said, "Why doesn't Ray and Kristin's church like Jesus?"

Needless to say, when we left to go for a walk because he was restless, I explained, as best as I could to a three year old, that Catholics love Jesus. They didn't nail him to the cross. I'm pretty sure I made it as clear as mud for him.

After the service, we went out to eat. We had used the video camera to tape the blessing for Kristin's parents since they couldn't be there. The disk holds 30 minutes, and the blessing lasted about 2 minutes. I hated to waste the rest of the disk, so I had Barrett sing while we waited for our food. After he sang, I was going to tape Fisher a little too for Kristin's mom to see.

As I started to tape him way, he choked on a chip and puked into his bowl. Nana was mortified that it was on tape, and she was even more upset that we all thought it was funny. I think she recovered ok until I told her you can't delete what you record. I am sure Kristin's mom, who had 6 kids, got a great laugh out of that little moment. Is it wrong that I never questioned sending it to her?

The following week, Barrett was so excited because Santa was going to be at his school. Both boys were so good the morning that were going to see him. Normally, I spend most of the morning playing referee, but they happily sat next to each other and watched tv while I packed us up for school.

I'm pretty sure Fisher was clueless, and he was just following Barrett's lead which tells me who causes the problems in the mornings.

Once we got to school, the hardest part was making them wait their turn. Once they got to Santa, Barrett was ready to tell him what he wanted. His list was really simple, a kitchen and a jeep. The jeep was the coached gift that Santa had already ordered. The kitchen was all Barrett. Doug tried to convince him he didn't want a kitchen, but he was not successful.

When Santa asked Fisher what he wanted, Barrett piped in with, "He really wants a kitchen."

I should have left well enough alone. I should have said thank you and walked away, but instead, I said, "Barrett, Fisher can talk. Fisher tell Santa what you want."

Fisher smiled, looked right at Santa and said, "Bullets. Shoot pigs. Shoot deers. Boom, Boom."
Yea, that's not embarrassing at church.

After seeing Santa, Fisher was obsessed with the man he called, "Claus". I am not sure why he only referred to him as Claus, but it cracked me up.

The following weekend, the preschoolers were going to be singing in church. I don't know what possessed me to think that Barrett would be fine seeing me. Instead of getting cute pictures of my kid in his first performance, I have a picture of him sitting and watching everyone else.

While I am a little sad that my son didn't want to perform the songs he has been practicing for two months, I am glad that Barrett wasn't the one that caused the entire sanctuary to gasp.

No, that honor is left for Leanne's eldest, Logan.

Logan didn't even want to go into the sanctuary. I ended up carrying him in, and having him sit on the floor beside me. I asked a couple of times if he would like to stand by his friends, but he was positive that he didn't want to go up with everyone else.

I was surprised when he just stood up and marched up the stairs of the alter. I still don't know what he was so interested in. The flowers? The piano? What I do know, is that he was not interested in facing the audience. (You can see him on the top left.)

Had he chosen to turn around, it might have prevented what came next.
I'm not sure how it happened, but moments after I took this picture, I heard the gasps of the entire congregation. I turned to see Logan coming down the marble stairs - head first.

Just as the congregation got quiet, his head hit the marble at the bottom of the stairs with a huge THUD.

Apparently from some angles it looked like I caught him, but I am sorry to say, I didn't. Luckily though, I was there and was able to comfort him quickly. He only screamed a couple of times.

His mom didn't even get to enjoy his big moment. She was sitting in the other service waiting for the preschoolers to arrive. Needless to say, Logan did not perform there either.
So, that is Barrett and his buddy's first church performance. Leanne and I are so proud...

Barrett and Fisher also experienced their first snow. It wasn't much, but the boys were excited.

I think it's time to visit Gigi in Colorado. They will be amazed at all the snow at her house!

We did finally put our tree up by the middle of December. They boys had so much fun helping with the tree. I think that is the longest Fisher has ever stayed focused on one activity.

And yes, those are Gymboree jammies!

I really think what the boys liked the most was climbing on the step ladder. They kept running to it with ornaments trying to beat each other to it.

Fisher really wanted to put the star on top of the tree, but he just wasn't big enough. After Daddy got it up there, Fisher was thrilled to just touch the star.

After the star was on top, both boys cheered that our tree was decorated!

Every morning the boys would wake up and immediately turn the tree lights on. I am so happy they enjoy the Christmas stuff as much as I do.

Barrett has enjoyed being funny lately. He thought he was hilarious in this drum. (Oh, and yes, those are more Gymboree pajamas.)

What he did not think was funny was that he couldn't get out. Fisher and Daddy laughed and laughed which made Barrett even less happy.

Fisher is quite the little funny man too. He loves putting on accessories. He especially likes the work goggles that came with Barrett's tool bench, but he is a little confused. He puts them on and then begs to swim in the pool. I don't think a one year old understands the concept of it being too cold outside.

Yep, more Christmas jammies!

The weekend before Christmas we headed to Dallas to my Aunt Jeanne's house. Barrett had a blast helping Jeanne make soup. My dad felt the need to "help" so as Barrett added things, my dad would name them.

Unfortunately, he wasn't saying what they really were. The corn was canary poop, and the ground beef was elephant poop. I'm not sure how many different poops there were, but it was a lot. My poor aunt now has to deal with being teased for serving Poop Soup.
Jeanne and all the little boys make birthday cakes for Jesus each year. Both of my boys loved it, but for different reasons.
Barrett liked decorating his with all the icing and sprinkles.

Fisher just ate the icing.

The boys got lots of great gifts at Aunt Jeanne's but the clear favorites were the disk shooting guns and the animal masks. Even big cousin Tyler thought the masks were fun!

There have been numerous times that one of my boys is wearing an animal mask and the other is hunting.

After spending two days in Dallas, we came home to have Christmas with Gran Gran and all Doug's cousins on his dad's side.

As usual, Gran Gran's decorative bath tub was the place to play.

It's always fun when all the kids get together. They did their typical cowboy stuff, but Leanne got a gift all the boys enjoyed.

Leanne had her own little beauty salon, and Barrett was so happy about his blue finger nails.

Daddy was not so happy.

Fisher wasn't interested in a manicure, but he did manage to have fun in a gift bag.

The next night, we had Christmas with my dad and sister. Barrett had a blast with his cousins. Tyler made a great bull for him to ride, and Fisher loved getting to shoot the bad bull!

The higlight of the night was when Barrett opened his diner from Papa. Barrett and Fisher couldn't wait for me to get it put together. It took a while, but I did manage to finish.

Christmas Eve was a blur. Since I am the nursery director of the church, it was a busy day for me. I loved every minute of it. There is nothing better than kids on Christmas Eve. They all looked adorable and were contagoius with excitement.

I was able to be home with the boys to put out cookies for Santa and tuck them in.

Barrett was so happy when he woke up Christmas and Santa had gone.

I almost felt bad when the very first gift he found in his stocking was a toothbrush, but he was thrilled.

Fisher was happy with his farm animals,

but he was most thrilled with Chicken Little. He loves the movie, and he was almost shocked when a Chicken Little was in the box. He immediately wanted to just snuggle him and drink milk. He didn't even care about other presents for a few minutes.

The big Santa gift was left outside, but I don't have any pictures only video. Santa gave them a jeep to share. They jumped in right away, and Barrett attempted to drive. Fisher was so funny with his cap gun in hand shooting. Later, when Fisher was driving, he ran into the tree, attempted to shoot the tree, and then told Nana to cut it. I don't think he even considered driving around it.
Ok, so I made it through Christmas Day, and that's as far as I can go right now because I am tired of typing.
Besides, I want to go check on my floors that are being installed as I type. Woo Hoo! I'll post pictures when they are done.


Leanne said...

Glad you're back! Thanks for posting a story that I can use in my blog! I'm still sad that I missed his big performance! And yes, we will be shopping again next year!

Tracy Fritzsching said...

great post! also glad you are back!!! missed reading your updates. funny thing, we have the same drum and the same two pictures of ashley sitting in it thinking it was funny and crying because she couldn't get out. :)

Kris said...

YEAH!!!! You are BACK!!!! I am worn out reading all of it! I can't believe our little ones are getting so big so fast!

The Klentzmans said...

Ha! I feel ya on the embarassing hunting talk, although mine comes from my 3 year old girl! I am NOT into hunting and things of that nature but her dad is, so anytime we see nice looking animals standing still she asks if she can shoot them. When watching Bambi once I showed her how sad the animals got when the hunters were shooting and she replied, "no no no no, they are not sad! I wiw shoot dat one and dat one and dat one and dat one!" pointing to sweet Thumper and Flower and Bambi and Owl! oh dear.

Jami said...

My entire family reads your blog religiously. We have voted, and we would like you to quit your job please, and go back to entertaining us with your blog entries. You have missed all of January and now February is well underway. Enough is enough. :-)

Anonymous said...

I miss your is Februray now. More please!

Anonymous said...

ï»?Tags: credit cards[url=]Peyton Manning Womens Jersey[/url]
credit card payments[url=]Youth Black Peyton Manning Jersey[/url]
shopping onlineFind Out A Company Offering Effective Call Recording Software Service - Phonecallrecording By: Maria Smith | May 17th 2012 - You must find out a company that offers effective phone call recording services to all businesses Furthermore[url=]Peyton Manning Orange Jersey[/url]
since there are quite a lot of different types of jerseys and not every type is duplicated the same way[url=]Youth Black Peyton Manning Jersey[/url]
there are separate rules for each one
ï»?Hockey equipment can be purchased online or from a sports store Jerseys cause you to really feel proud specifically in case you previously put on what you bought