Sunday, June 10, 2007

He's Not Sick

This past week has been VERY busy and VERY long.

Normally, I have to look for things to write on the calender, but this week I had vacation bible school all week, a lake trip with a bunch of junior and senior high kids, a graduation party, and my mom was flying in.

As I looked at the calendar last weekend, I was so happy to feel like I had a life outside of my house for a change, but Sunday night made me realize that a full week was not going to be a good thing.

Fisher was up most the night Sunday, so as I drove to VBS Monday morning, I called the doctor to see about getting in. After trying to organize the 37 junior high, 4 high school, and 2 adult volunteers I had "helping" me with the outdoor games while I was on hold for 45 minutes, I knew the week wasn't going to be so fun.

I got an appointment with a doctor, but when you call on a Monday morning along with 3 billion other people, you have to take what you can get. The only good part was that they could see Fisher at 1 which meant that I could be at VBS to lead my area because leaving it with only my volunteers on the first day would have been disastrous considering NONE of them had ever helped with it before.

The first day of VBS wasn't without it glitches, but overall, it was great. I wish I could say the same about the doctor's visit.

When we went to sign in, I learned we'd be seeing a doctor that was in for a doctor that was out of town. He might have been good, but a doctor that is a fill in doctor makes me nervous. I just feel like if he was really good, he'd have his own practice.

I was right. I think we would have been better off driving by, throwing $25 out the window, and getting home in time for Barrett's nap.

The fill-in doctor told me that Fisher isn't sick. The fact that he coughed all night, wasn't sleeping, and wasn't eating meant nothing. His only suggestion was to give Fisher Triaminic or Pediacare. When I asked about dosage, he pointed at Barrett and said he could have what I give him. I know Barrett's not a big kid, but he is a lot bigger that a 3 and a half month old baby.

Monday night was sleepless again. So, Tuesday, I called and left a message for my doctor to call me. My call was returned really quickly, and I was told the correct dosage. (My doctor also wanted to know all the details of the fill-in doctor visit. I don't think he'll ever fill in for her!)

VBS went amazingly smooth all week, but the lack of sleep due to the "not sick" baby was making me insane.

So, Thursday morning, I called for an appointment with our normal doctor. I drove to VBS to get everything as organized as I could, drove to the doctor, and again I was told he's still not sick.


Doug's mom picked the kids up from the doctor's office so I could rush to be on time to go on the retreat with the older kids.

You know it's been a rough week when being on a party boat with 40 junior high and high school kids is relaxing.

Mom flew in Friday morning, and was quick to notice that Fisher was not in a good mood. His mood got worse ALL day.

Friday night was awful, last night was worse. He's not sleeping at all.

Last night, I was up with him from 1 until 4:30, and I gave up and got Doug. Doug was up with him until we went to church.

Fisher is coughing, moody, and not sleeping well at all, but at least I know he's "not sick".

Maybe he's teething. Maybe he's just figured out how to cough. Maybe he's really hungry at night. Whatever it is, I hope he gets over not being sick soon.


Chas said...

Aww..poor baby. I hope that teething is all it is, but it's still upsetting that a doc wouldn't care enough to put more concern into the diagnosis.

Laura Neal said...

Tag, you are it! I think it is funny that you found my blog. I know you are thinking, this woman doesn't have a life. Not without my computer, I don't. Actually, I am working on my Christmas presents for all of my nieces and nephews, mittens and hats for the whole lot of them. I have 16 to do. I am such a great Auntie!

Anonymous said...

I hope it gets better when mom comes over to your house today! I also hope Russell is alright without mom. Hang in there!!!!!