Friday, December 30, 2005

A Big Event

Before I get to the story let me start by saying, Barrett sleeps on him stomach. Yes, I know pediatricians recommend sleeping on their backs, but that was the problem, he didn't sleep on his back, he startled himself constantly and was up all night. So after a couple nights, Doug started putting him on his stomach, and he really slept. I would wake up constantly making sure he was still alive because all the books say he'll die on his tummy, but I really wanted him to sleep! After talking to other moms, I only know two people who actually have their baby sleep on their backs. Apparently, no one wants to admit it but almost everyone gives in and flips their kid over. With all that being said, here's the story...

Last night Barrett apparently had a tummy ache. He was very vocal about not wanting to go to bed. He normally goes to bed between 8 and 8:30, so at 9:30, I put him to bed wide awake. After about ten minutes of crying, I went in to check on him. He was really mad! So, I took him out and rocked him to calm him down, and then I put him back in bed.

Ten minutes later, he was really mad. My mom is in town so she went in to check him. When she came back out she asked, "When did he start sleeping on him back?"


After a few seconds of staring at each other, my mom and I realized he flipped himself over. So we did what any loving mom and grandma would do, we ran in and flipped him back over to see if he'd do it again.

We stood over his crib with him screaming and snorting on his tummy. We'd get excited as he'd hunch his butt in the air and almost roll as he would scream. I wanted to video tape him, but then I realized what I would have on tape. Something about taping an irate baby trying desperately to get his mommy to help him as she sits there and records didn't seem right. So, I picked him up and rocked him back to sleep.

I stood there at his crib watching him sleep, and I almost started crying. He's getting too big too fast. It's like I could see him running out the door to play with his friends because they're more fun than his mom. I just wish I could slow time down. I know most moms are excited for all the milestones, but I'm just not.

But... I can't lie. I did let him cry a little longer in bed this morning as I watched to see if he would roll over. He didn't, but he will again soon.

Even though I don't want him to grow up this fast, I'll be proud of him as he passes every milestone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're not a bad Mommy for lettng him sleep on his tummy. We have only had 1 foster child come through who actually slept on her back, all the others, inlcuding little M sleep on their tummies. They sleep so much better and longer and as long as there is only a crib sheet at the bottom and no fluffy bedding, I see no harm in it. :-) We need our sleep.