Friday, October 20, 2006

We Love Texas Children's!

We survived the appointment, and by we, I mean me.

The assortment of doctors were nothing but wonderful. They obviously know what they are doing. They all came in at once and asked some initial questions, and then they took turns coming in one at a time. Overall, it was a great experience, and I think they will help skinny man gain some weight.

The only scare came with the MD doctor. After talking about all of Barrett's eating, pooping, playing, and sleeping habits, she said she wanted to do a test for cystic fibrosis because apparently he has a number of the indicators. I'm not sure I heard much else she said. It's a good thing Doug was with me.

Luckily, when I got home, I called my OB and she said that I had the CF test with all the fertility genetic testing. I am not a carrier, so Barrett can't have it. I called the doctor, and she canceled the test. :)

They inquired about everything Barrett has ever eaten, and they didn't act like we had done anything wrong. The nutritionist was my favorite, and she had some great ideas. I don't know what will work, but we're willing to try anything.

The main change has already gotten Barrett's stamp of approval. All of his bottles now must have carnation instant breakfast in them which doubles the calories.

I gave him his first bottle this afternoon. He immediately sucked down the whole thing, and then came the real entertainment.

I asked him if he wanted more, and he said and signed, "more". When I reached for the bottle, he screamed! He then turned away with the bottle, took it over to his Mater truck, put it in the seat's compartment, and ran away pushing Mater.

I think he liked it so much that he was scared to give up the magic bottle. So, I got a different bottle, and made more. When I gave it to him, he tasted it, laughed, and drank the whole thing. I think it is safe to say that the first weight gain plan is going well.

We'll see how he adjusts to the meal time changes suggested by the behavioral lady. I don't think he'll be as thrilled.

So, for now, we'll make the suggested changes, keep a food log, drop off a poopy diaper at the med center for evaluation, and hope Barrett gains some weight before his next appointment in December or they will have to do lots of yucky tests. :(

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that everything went well. Can't wait to see all of you at Thanksgiving!